What I've learned about the Irish
I spent the last few days in Dublin, Ireland, visiting a very good friend of mine. These are a few observations I made during my stay:
- The Irish consider themselves much less European than I had thought.
- Mainland Europe is simply called "Europe".
- They hate the English.
- Until recently, Ireland had been living in the Middle Ages, as is accurately portrayed in the 1991 movie The Commitments.
- They frickin' love The Commitments.
- Germans are forgiven for not knowing anything about Rugby.
- I have a better chance of catching an SC Freiburg match in Dublin than I do in Mannheim.
- They know how to make a good breakfast.
- They call Americano an Americano.
- Guinness is owned by big alcohol and employs mob tactics to block other beer makers from getting their products into pubs.
- Irish pub culture is as strong and real as it is advertised. Loving it!